Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Leaving New Orleans







April 20, 2009
I could tell you that I was not concerned. But I was. Okay, I thought that in going through New Orleans I would be in the Grand Central Station of commercial boat traffic.
We woke about 6:00. Actually, I woke about 5:45. The alarm went off at 6:15. When we went to bed, I had set the alarm for 5:15, but after the middle of the night boat bumping fiasco, I moved it back to 6:15. If we left at 5:15, that would be in the dark. I was not going to be in the New Orleans waters in the dark.
We headed for the first bridge. I radioed, they said wait, I circled for forty five minutes, then they opened. That is what it was like the entire route, except the waits were shorter. Linda was cute going into the locks. She had to put on one of those orange life jackets and go to the bow of the boat. We sat and visited for about 30 minutes on the bow of the boat waiting for the lock to open.
Entering the Mississippi River was cool. Boat traffic has been using that river for a very long time. I think they used to pull boats upriver with mules. I thought about that as we were heading upstream to the Harvey Locks.
I checked in with "Gretna Light Traffic" on Channel 67. They then monitor the river through the city. They told me "98" was coming toward me and to get out of the way. 98 was a large ship. I moved to the city side of the river and the ship went by. I called a friend in New Orleans and told him to look out his window that I was floating by.
The anxiety was wasted. Commercial traffic wasn’t busy. We were the only ones in many instances with not more than one other boat at any time. No boat breaking barges.
I have been surprised at the number of work boat shipyards we passed. We passed factories for barges, tugs, crew boats and a large variety of other vessels. We went all the way through with no problems. I was glad to see New Orleans in my rear view mirror. It’s a great city for a party and if I ever go back in a boat I won’t have half the anxiety I did today. But, leaving New Orleans meant that we are on our last leg of this trip. And, it’s crawfish season so I’m hoping there will be some great food along the way.
We pushed hard today and made it to Houma. We are at a public dock. It is well lit and very nice. Tomorrow, we go to Morgan City. Then, Intracoastal City.
Texas here we come.
Post again tomorrow
Royal Crescent.

No comments:

Post a Comment