Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Marina Jacks




April 6, 2009
The marina we find is called "Marina Jacks." It is beautiful. Not just because it has docks for our injured boat, but because it is beautiful. We got up this morning to the greatest group of dockmasters and workers. They help us, discuss the channel with us, and help us get ready for the trip to Snead Island Boat Works. Marty dives on the boat and tells us the rudder is only slightly bent.
Both 346-SAIL and our boat broker gave me the number for Sneads and I call for Sue who is not there. Gary answers and provides directions to their boatyard and promises a lead in to the river I have to go down. It seems to take forever to leave Marina Jacks but we refuel, pump the holding tanks (for Linda), and off we go. Linda’s tired and sleeps. I head down the Intracoastal Waterway to Sneads.
Ibuprofen has become my friend. It seems that my 54 year old body gets a little sore when I stand at the helm all day. I’m stiff. I take a couple of Ibuprofen and in about a half hour, I’m fine.
When I finally make it to Tampa Bay, I’m supposed to turn to marker 2. I remember marker 2 but the ICW marker is not anywhere near 2. I head for this big bridge. There is darkness ahead. That darkness indicates a rain squall and I don’t like it. The winds are picking up. I turn on the radar and it shows a big rain mass moving ahead of me. I don’t want any more excitement. I turn around and start heading back. Then, a squall moves in on that side. The winds are picking up. The original squall has moved on so I turn back around. The winds are increasing and I don’t like where we are. I call Sneads and speak with Gary. He helps me find marker 2 and I start heading in. He comes out to meet us and leads us in the rest of the way.
We head straight to the lift out dock. They bring over the crane and lift the boat. The rudder is clearly bent but they think they can fix is by bending it back. They do, it works, they tighten the steering and we splash the boat.
Post again tomorrow
Royal Crescent.

No comments:

Post a Comment