Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pensacola

April 13, 2009
The hero of the day award goes to West Marine with a close second to Navionics. I told you as I was leaving Palmetto that I had a problem with the Gulf Coast chip. Well there is a little history here.
In February, Linda and I went to Miami for the Miami Boat Show. It is one of the biggest boat shows in the country and I thought it would be fun to look at boats. Anyway, we ended up buying this boat and I needed electronics, a life raft, and other stuff. So, off to the Miami boat show we went. When we arrived at the Zodiak booth to talk about dinghies, we were introduced to George from Boaters World in Pompano Beach. Anyway, he was helpful and I went to his store and met Fred. Fred sold me my electronic gear and two chart chips. They are compact flash cards with charts on them. One was for the Southeast and the other for the Gulf Coast. When the Gulf Coast chip failed, I was in a fix because, since buying my electronics, Boaters World filed bankruptcy. I was out of luck.
So, as we came into Pensacola, I started calling Boaters Worlds here to get the chip replaced. Mark said not to worry because West Marine would step up to the plate, if Boaters World didn’t, and get me a new chip. One Boaters World store would have been glad to help but did not have the chip. Another store also did not have the chip but threw in that they would not take the chip back since it was open because I could have tried to copy it. Let’s analyze what this guy just said. He effectively said I cannot return a defective chip if its been opened; but, how does anyone know if it is defective if they have not opened it?
West Marine, here I come. Mark and I headed there after getting him a car. Don was great and gave us information on what to do, including calling Todd. Todd was willing but needed Navionics approval. I called Navionics, they approved. West Marine traded the chip.
The result is that West Marine stepped up to the plate, gave me a new chip and was willing to return the chip to Navionics. West Marine has earned my loyalty.
We now have a chip that works. Today the winds were wrong so we stayed at the dock. Tomorrow, we get up early and head out. We have to stop in Gulf Shores to get the depth finder repaired. Then, we head to New Orleans. I want to be there by ....I’m not saying. If I pick a day, you can bet we won’t be there until two or three days after that.
Post again tomorrow
Royal Crescent.

PS: Dan and Felicia, I tried to send you an email today. If you did not get it send me an email so I will have the correct address.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys will have good winds until the next cold front on Sunday. Looking forward to further blog installments and hearing of your westerly progress.
    How did the depth sounder work out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, all is well in Texas. Sounds to me that West Marine is kind of like Sneads the boat works that repaired your boat. (good to do business with) We look frwd to your return. Please come home soon running out of tooth brushes. Or its stinky breath for you!!!! (LOL)

    Bucky, Dub, Rocky, Snickers

    P.S. We traded Snickers for some magic beans. Hope you plant them in our yard when you get back.

    ReplyDelete