Thursday, April 2, 2009

Living the Dream


April 1, 2009

Okay, we are at anchor. The skies have little fluffy clouds in the distance. Off the back of the boat are houses lined along the water, like in Galveston. They are probably three quarters of a mile away. The water is turquoise blue. We’re tucked in behind a small island called Tavernier Key. The sun is setting. There are these gentle waves lapping around our boat. Two other sailboats have chosen to anchor here. We’re in about eight feet of water at mean low tide. We draw 4'10", so say 5 feet. I snorkeled around the boat for a minute or so just to see it under water. It was weird to see my keel only about 3 feet over the ground but, it was low tide and I know that is the lowest the water will get until 6 pm tomorrow.
Now, if you look at a map–it’s called a chart in boat lingo–you will see we only made about six miles and that’s really an exaggeration. At today’s speed we will not get back until 2011! So, tomorrow we pick it up a little.
We’ve crammed about two weeks worth of work into four days. We are both exhausted. We have added a second anchor and roller, a motor lift, a grill, a motor for the dinghy, the dinghy which we have not blown up, and hundreds, okay, thousands, actually millions of things. You cannot believe what all we have done. But, it’s done. We completed almost every task, which is cool.
Tomorrow, we will try to get to Channel Five in the Keys. That will cut us across the Keys and into the Gulf, heading north. We are going to try to make it to Shark River. If we get there, we will anchor in a bend in the river. It’s in the edge of the Everglades.
Okay, I will post more tomorrow. BTW, we did not leave till 2:20 pm Eastern and anchored at around 6:00 pm.
One last thing. We met Felicia and Dan. They were a few boats away from us. They are the official first couple we met on a cruise and hung out with. They took us to a great restaurant and we shot pool. Their boat, the Rare Ruby, stays in Key Largo Harbor till they want to move back home to North Carolina. They leave their boat here and they visited it forty five days this year. Tough life!
Post again tomorrow.
Royal Crescent

4 comments:

  1. Haven't heard from you guys. Would love to hear an update of your adventure. You need to post some pictures. Snickers and Rocky are have a good time. Julie W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone here fine and following your Blog. Anxious to learn your situation this evening.Howard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear of your adventure. Sounds like you are really living the dream ! We love your blog.
    Smooth Sailing,
    Dan & Felecia
    of the Rare Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beware of Capt.Dan.
    I've known him all of his life. I'd trust him with my wife, my mom, my sister, my dog, my house, my nieces, my cousins, even
    my money. Pretty much everything.
    BUT NOT MY CAR OR MY SAILBOAT.
    My name's Tom.........I'm his brother.
    Ask him about flying planes.

    ReplyDelete